Sunday, October 23, 2011

Slideshow and Photo Gallery Critique

Slideshow:
News Channel 5, WPTZ
On the right side of the homepage, there is a tab labeled "Slideshows." When I clicked on that, what I found was options, and lots of them. There was about 10 different slideshows to choose from with the options for more. I clicked on a slideshow "Growing Pains: Disney Stars Gone Bad."It consists of 8 pictures. It gives you the option to press play and have the slideshow play for you, or you can click on the next arrow and look at the pictures at your own speed, which I like. What I don't like is how there is no date anywhere to know when the slideshow was made. How am I supposed to know when this slideshow was made or if its current information or not? I don't. Not exactly smart for a news website to do. The pictures in this slideshow are just pictures of the actors, with captions on the pictures saying exactly what it was that they have done to label them "Disney Stars Gone Bad." The slideshow itself isn't bad, but if you ask me, this slideshow is not exactly "newsworthy."

Slideshow:
BBC News (UK)
I kind of had a hard time finding a slideshow from a news source with audio. I finally found one, but from the UK. Anyways, it titled "Early Expeditions to Everest." It's a slideshow of images to mark the 90th anniversary of the first expedition to the Himalayas. It is narrated by expedition photographer, Martin Hartley, accompanied by some music. I really enjoyed this, the photos were beautiful and Hartley did a good job of narrating by talking about what it would take to lug all of the camera equipment up the Himalayas with them.

Photo Gallery:
Yahoo! News
I found a photo gallery titled, "Missing Missouri Baby Lisa Irwin." It consists of 21 photos and mostly consists of photos of police officers searching the home, mixed with pictures of the baby's parents and then some of baby Lisa, herself. Each photo has a caption on the right side of the picture, explaining what was going on in the picture, who's in it, and the date it was taken. I like this photo gallery because it shows pictures, but has a detailed caption to explain the picture to you, which gives you details of the story. There is also a view all tab where you can look at all of the pictures at once and without the captions. Good photo gallery, sad story :(


No comments:

Post a Comment